Tuesday, May 26, 2009

new obsession

Lately I've been back to an old favorite website.  Africam I used to visit years ago when I worked at the Juvenile Justice Department.  Back then, it was MUCH different.  It had a ton of different webcams.  It had safari cameras where you could watch them on game drives.  They also had contests where you could upload pictures of what you "caught" on camera, and they would do winners of the day, week, month and year.  Winner of the year would win a trip to their game reserve.

The cameras used to be refresh type.  I believe after 30 seconds, they would upload a new picture.  Technology has come a long way.  Now, they have 2 cameras that are live action with SOUND!  How cool is that!  They still do have the refresh cameras, but they seem to have cut the safari cameras.

My only issue with Africam is the fact that they are 9 hours ahead of me, and if I really want to see any game show up I have to wait up late.  Around 7pm is sun-up there.  I find myself staying up late watching...finally giving up, and then popping back on before I go to sleep.  The past few days I've been rewarded by staying up late.  I've gotten to see zebra, buffalo, tons of birds, a leapord, a girraffe family (including a tiny little baby..so cute) and have gotten to hear lions and hyenas in the distance making noise.  It's been very cool.  Here's a screen shot I took the other day.  VERY cool.  It shows a few baby zebras.  They were hanging out wtih baby buffallo.  They kept running circles around each other until they finally got tired and stood around.  It was so cool!  If you happen to be up and around at 2:30 in the morning (yeah, I am.. LOL) The Elephant Plains (Sabi Sands Wildtuin) is currently showing a herd of buffallo, and a handful of antelope, and the Nkorho Pan camera (also Sabi Sands area, but I believe it's farther south...but I could be wrong) is also showing buffalo.
Africam Screenshot
This is the screen shot of the other night.
And here is a map that shows where the two cameras are located in Sabi Sands. (Not the greatest picture, but the only one I could find.)
Sabi Sands map

Orignal From: new obsession

No comments: